Wednesday, August 17, 2016

"Mbote na yo!" Reflections from Scott Butler

Mbote na yo! (hello to you!)

  What a joy it has been to see old friends again and to meet so many new ones!  From the moment we landed, we have received the warmest of Congolese embraces…. just look on YouTube for “Congo Brazza Greeting” for one example (Matthew & I would be happy to greet you as such, if you can’t find what I am referring to!).  I came with such an eager anticipation of seeing those with whom we spent so much time with in 2011; they have been the focus of my prayers and their faces have been etched into my heart and photo albums.  While I have had many moments of elation (and more to come as we are back in Brazzaville), I have also had a moment of deep pain as I confirmed that I would not get to hug my dear sister in Christ, Blandine, again on this side of heaven as she went to be with the Lord a few months ago (you can see the impact she has left in our lives from the 2011 blog).  Between her and the other instances of sickness and sudden death I have heard about, it is a reminder of how fragile life can be.

     More than anything, I keep coming back to the thought of “familiarity.”  How familiar these friends, streets, sights, smells and sounds are, even though it has been five years.  Moreover, the “exotic” aspects which surround have become less of a distraction and I am struck with how familiar everybody is that I see on the streets.  You can see it in the eyes.  And even though the pushing in the crazy airport queue is a different manifestation of our brokenness, what you see is the same heart which needs to know the truth of the Gospel… no matter where in the world you are, be it another continent or next door.

     We spent a busy first few days in Pointe Noire visiting with many pastors (Fred Massala, Jean-Baptiste Mouanga, Joseph Mboungou, and Nestor Gampaka) and evangelists, each time getting to praise our Lord alongside of the saints in a number of parishes.  We visited parishes now clad with tin roofs (praise God!  That was a field we visited five years ago!), partially encircled by a few cinderblocks, or in what we might define as a back alley.  No matter where we were, God was being praised so fully in song and prayer.  Though I am painfully aware of my inability to understand and speak French or Lingala, one’s heart clearly beats in understanding with what is being sung!  As Matthew has likely said, we have been blessed with so many opportunities to share from God’s word, enabled by wonderful translators like Fred (French), Joseph (Kituba/Lingala) and a young man named Pascal (French, Kituba/Lingala).   Matthew has preached from 2 Kings (Elisha: “those who are with us are more than those against us”) and illustrated Jesus calming the storm and David & Goliath (with help from some great kids).  Lest our hearts grow cold due a casual familiarity with the Gospel, I have been encouraging all to think through Paul’s message in Ephesians (often via question/answers), that our hearts might be warmed with awe as to what God has done for us, for you:
     -that he has known and chosen you from before the foundation of the world,
     -that we were dead in our sin but made alive through Christ’s life and death (this being a gift to all who believe and nothing of our doing),
     -that we are now citizens of God’s kingdom and should live as such
     -that, with this incredible knowledge, we should witness this to others
(many thanks to Frances for her visual highlighting these four phrases!)

     What a tremendous blessing it has been to be with God’s people here, again, in Congo-Brazza… I really can’t say that enough!  And for the prayers and outpouring of care for Katie, Jack & Christie… what sustenance that has been for me to know of!  Lastly, I leave an important quote for those who struggle, like I have, with the thought of not going on a mission trip because “I don’t know what I can do”:

     “When we see you come and visit us, it gives us great strength”  --Pastor Fred Massala

No comments:

Post a Comment